The Mk XVI Spitire sits in the fall sunshine, against a backdrop of the last of the coloured leaves. Photo HF.
The leaves continue to turn colours and fall gently from the trees as the flying continues to wind down for the season. 2012 gave Vintage Wings the opportunity to put another great and safe flying season under our belts. Hawk One, Yellow Wings, Gray Ghosts, Warbirds of the Med, we will celebrate all these programs and more at our end of the year Gala Ball on Nov 3. Space is limited and tickets are selling fast so, get yours now by visiting https://www.vintagewingsmembers.ca/eventsDetail/eventDetails.cfm?eventIdEnc=25E3C9 . And don’t forget about our Annual General Meeting (AGM) at 10am the same day as the Gala Ball – for Vintage Wings’ members, this is your chance to vote and get caught up on Vintage news.
As usual, our Remembrance Day flypasts around the Ottawa-Gatineau valley will officially close the 2012 flying season. But while the engines are spooling down, Vintech Aero and those Wizards with Merlins are just starting to spool up. With winter comes annual inspections on each aircraft, as well as a chance to clean up any remaining snags. Additionally, there is some “heavy lifting” to be done over the coming months:
- the Harvard engine has been sent out for overhaul
- the Mk IX Spitfire wings are making progress
– the Mk XII Hurricane rebuild is coming along
– the left cylinder bank is off the Mk IV Hurricane
– the Tiger Moth engine will be pulled off and sent to the Netherlands for overhaul
– the P40 will undergo an engine swap (spare goes in, current one gets taken apart)
– the Swordfish parts will come in: new valve seats, new valve springs, new valves, new pistons, and our friends at Standard Aero in Winnipeg have retooled the cylinders)
– the Swordfish’s mock torpedo will be completed
– the Finch will have its canopy installed
– the Fox Moth has not flown in two years, so will require some TLC to get it airworthy again
– and the prop governor on the P51 has to be installed
Don’t forget with Christmas and Hannukah coming that Vintage Wings products make great gifts! They are available for purchase either at the hangar, at our Ottawa Airport Arrivals location, or online (https://www.vintagewingsmembers.ca/estore/index.cfm).
Finally, Vintage Wings would like to offer a sincere thanks to all of our volunteers, members and supporters for a fabulous 2012 season. Thank you for helping us keep ‘em flying.
See you at the Gala Ball!